Justin and I had many adventures last weekend. And of these many adventures, one was particularly hard to photograph. My grandma Mary and my great aunt Ellen hosted a wild and rambunctious procession of guests all day Sunday. Ellen is visiting from the west coast and it just wouldn't do to have anything less than complete family chaos to celebrate her trip to the heartland. The kitchen was full of chatter, family, food, and fudge. There was baking and cleaning and the continuous dance that always happens when a dozen people are all trying to fix a plate of food, get into the fridge, get into the silverware drawer and otherwise decide that the rhubarb sauce on the opposite side of the table is exactly what they need to be happy. And noise. Oh my was there noise.
Despite many obstacles, I did manage to snag what I truly believe to be my greatest photographic achievement of 2010: a picture of my grandma smiling at the camera. She does not have her hand in front of her face, a dish in front of her face, or one of her grandchildren. I think, ultimately, I have Ellen to thank. If Grandma Mary hadn't wanted to prove that she is, in fact, the taller sister, this may never have happened. And Grandma, trust me, you are taller. This picture should be disregarded. Ellen's sparkly shoes gave her edge.
Also. Please enjoy the fabulous photos below of my third cousins twice removed... or was it second cousins twice removed. Um... Ha. Actually, I have no idea how we were related. Grandpa Norbert was the only one who could ever figure this sort of thing out. But trust me, they're related. And even if they weren't, I would claim them in a second. You would too. Sean, Kathryn and little Kellian are a hoot. Must be all the Irish in 'em.
Oh, and by the way, they were hard to photograph as well. One word: Bubbles.
